Kauai Man, 62, Shot To Death After 3-Hour Standoff

Published On: Feb 16 2012 04:15:45 AM HST   Updated On: Feb 17 2012 08:24:41 AM HST
OMAO, Hawaii -

Kauai police said Richard ?Dickie? Louis, 62, was fatally shot by police Wednesday night after a three-hour standoff at his home in Omao.

He was pronounced dead early Thursday morning at Queen?s Medical Center.

The incident began at about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday when Kauai police and members of the Hawaii Fugitive Task Force went to Louis? home on Punee Road to arrest him on an outstanding warrant.

Louis was wanted on a $310,000 cash bench warrant for failing to appear for his trial in Circuit Court in Lihue on December 5, 2011.

The trial, which had commenced days earlier, proceeded in Louis?s absence and a jury found him guilty on theft, gun and drug charges stemming from a 2007 incident.

Wednesday afternoon, when officers arrived at the residence, Louis barricaded himself inside the home with an adult female.

At that point, the officers and crisis negotiators surrounded the home and attempted to persuade Louis to exit and surrender peacefully.

By 5:45 p.m., negotiators had succeeded in getting the woman safely out of the home.

Despite multiple attempts, negotiators were unable to establish contact with Louis who continued to ignore commands to surrender.

At about 6:45 p.m., Louis was observed on the roof of his home in an aggressive and agitated state. An officer pursued Louis and attempted to detain him. Louis then grabbed a metal object and made threatening moves towards the officer and threatened to kill him. The officer then fired his weapon at Louis.

Medics transported Louis to Wilcox Hospital for treatment. Shortly before midnight, he was flown via Air Ambulance to Queen?s Medical Center on Oahu, where he was pronounced dead at 12:54 a.m.

An autopsy will be conducted by the Honolulu Medical Examiner?s Office.

Louis has 32 prior arrests.

The incident occurred during a three-day sweep on Kauai, conducted by the Hawai'i Fugitive Task Force. The operation, which began on Monday, served 47 warrants and resulted in the arrest of 31 wanted individuals on a total of 249 charges.

The Hawaii Fugitive Task Force includes personnel from the U.S. Marshals, the Kauai Police Department, the Hawai'i County Police Department, the Maui Police Department and the State Department of Public Safety?s Sheriff?s Office.

Acting Police Chief Michael Contrades released the following statement:

?The Kauai Police Department is currently conducting a full investigation of yesterday's shooting. We will involve the appropriate outside agencies to ensure an expeditious and fair review. Based on the information available to us at this time, it appears that the officers involved acted appropriately."

"Our officers are tasked with making split-second decisions to protect the public and themselves. Almost all of these encounters end peacefully. Sadly, some do not. My condolences go out to those who are now dealing with the loss of their loved one."

"Public safety is our highest priority and we remain steadfast in that endeavor.?


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus