Pit bull saves deaf teen from house fire
Updated On: Jul 18 2014 05:30:33 AM HST
A teen is alive thanks to the family's pit bull, who woke him up from a nap when his house caught fire.
Nick Lamb, 13, who was born deaf, was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began, reports The Associated Press and WXIN. Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Lamb was unable to hear the smoke alarms going off.
"Ace," the family's beloved 2-year-old pit bull, came into Lamb's room and licked his face until he woke up. That's when he realized the house was full of smoke.
Lamb grabbed his cell phone, his hearing aids and Ace and got out of the house, where he texted his mother and called 911.
The house was almost completely destroyed, and the damage was estimated at $175,000.
Lindsay Bernard, Lamb's mother, credited Ace with saving her son.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.