Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell and Governor Neil Abercrombie announced plans Tuesday for the Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial site.
Mayor Caldwell said it will take $18.4 million to demolish the Natatorium and build a public beach. Compare that with rehabilitating the crumbling Natatorium at $69.4 million.
Officials explained that the pool will be demolished and the arch moved. A new beach will be built in the area.
Here's a closer look at the project's concept.
They also said an Environmental Impact Statement will be resumed.
Officials do not know where they will get the money for the project at this time.
KITV4 News reported in January that Mayor Caldwell intends to resume the Environmental Impact Statement that was quietly suspended under Mayor Peter Carlisle's administration.
The city had been talking with the governor about the fate of the controversial historic structure.
Abercrombie was exploring the possibility of turning the salt water pool into a beach volleyball venue.
View of Waikiki Beach from the Natatorium.
The Natatorium's arch
This is an artist's concept of what the arch will look like when it is moved.
In the summer of 2009, Mayor Mufi Hannemann appointed a 17-person Natatorium Task Force that reviewed a study by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineeers, the full structure rehabilitation option and all other pertinent information.
The majority of the task force members recommended the Memorial Beach option entailing construction of a pair of stone groins protecting a new, sand-nourished beach and relocation of the entrance arches to a site near the hao tree arbor.
Gov. Abercrombie intervened in May of 2012 to inquire on the feasibility of alternatives to the city's announced plans.
Publication of an EIS Preparation Notice is pending the city's resumption of the project.