911 caller thought bodies in Indiana creek were mannequins

Published On: Mar 20 2013 08:34:38 AM HST

They were looking for a new house, but a southern Indiana man and wife made a startling discovery in the process, when they came across three bodies floating in a New Albany creek.

It was soon learned that the bodies would be those of a mother and her two young children.

Now, the husband of the couple who found them is talking about the discovery and the 911 calls he made to police.

The couple said finding that family left them incredibly shaken up.

"We sat in the car and definitely cried a little bit. It's tough," the man said.

What the man saw at Binford Park last Wednesday is now a distinct memory in his mind that won't soon fade.

"I guess it sinks in eventually, but it's definitely one of the more harrowing experiences of my life," the man said.

He didn't want WLKY to use his name, but his story is part of such a strange and troubling case centered on the creek.

On Tuesday, police released the 911 calls made when the man discovered the three bodies.

"I'm at Binford Park. I think there's a baby in the creek," the man told 911 dispatchers.

That call was the first the man would make to police after he and his wife passed through the park thinking what they saw surely wasn't real.

"You think there's a (body)?" the dispatcher said.

"Maybe it's not. Hold on. OK. That scared me because those are mannequins," the man said.

It was a closer look that prompted a second call just a couple minutes later.

"Hey, I just called a minute ago. I think they are real people that are in the water. It looks like a woman, a little boy and a baby," the man told dispatchers.

The bodies were those of 35-year-old Jamie Clutter and her children, ages 10 and 6 months.

The three were found unclothed near a Bible and a baby harness hanging in a tree.

"Are they submerged in the water?" the dispatcher asked.

"Yeah, they're submerged in the water," the man said.

Investigators believe the two children drowned, but their mother's cause of death still isn't known, and neither is an answer to what really happened.

"Once the investigation comes to a close we'll want to find out what happened. It's definitely scary," the man said.

Police are calling the incident a homicide case, but murder-suicide hasn't been ruled out.    


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus