The Hawaii State Department of Education announced Friday the DOE's 2012 "Employee of the Year" and "Team of the Year" at its Incentive & Service Awards Program held at the Hawaii State Capitol Auditorium.
The Incentive and Service Awards program recognizes DOE employees who have made special and continued contributions to improve the quality and effectiveness of Hawaii's public school system.
The 2012 program celebrated employees in four categories: Sustained Superior Performance Award (5 recipients); the DOE Employee of the Year (selected from among the 5 awardees); Team Excellence Award of Merit (8 team recipients); and the DOE Team of the Year (selected from among the 8 team awardees).
Delcinda Saito was awarded the 2012 DOE Employee of the Year. Saito is a Central District Office Teacher and has been a state employee for 19 years.
She has established a Peer Tutor program for special needs students to work with other students on physical education, and coordinated events such as the Great Aloha Kids Run, and the Sony Open Jr. Challenge.
Saito assists teachers with accommodations in regular or Adapted Physical Education programs for students with special needs. In addition, her after-work hours are joyfully spent crafting and customizing equipment for special needs students.
As co-chair of the North Central Community Children’s Council, Delcinda facilitates monthly meetings that serve as a forum for parents and service providers to address system concerns and overcome educational barriers.
Her formula for addressing concerns is to listen, engage, encourage, and energize.
The Hawaii State Department of Education's Employee of the Year Award is the highest honor bestowed on a DOE employee. It recognizes superb performance and achievement over a sustained period. The DOE Employee of the Year will serve as the DOE's nominee for the Governor's Award for Distinguished State Service, or the State's Employee of the Year Award.
The DOE Team of the Year was awarded to the Mililani Ike Cafeteria Team at Mililani Ike Elementary School.
The Mililani Ike Team has turned the cafeteria into an extended classroom by teaching students about good nutrition, hygiene, safety, and manners. Team members consistently volunteer for after-work events such as dinners on Author's Nights, May Day celebrations, and principals' coffee hours. They have demonstrated creativity and innovation in achieving work efficiency.
Each cafeteria team member makes a concerted effort to reinforce the Department of Education’s General Learner Outcomes and Wellness Policy by talking to students about being responsible and effective communicators.
The team has secured multiple grants to educate students about nutrition and wellness. Grants include the Pueo Power Program, Healthy Hawaii School Challenge, and the Power Up with Produce program.
The team has cooked over 900 additional meals through an annual "Lunch with your Child" program for parents. In nine years, they have never missed a day of service, and over 1,500 lunches have been served on time.
The following is a full list of awards handed out:
Sustained Superior Performance Award (5 recipients): for exemplary service and consistent superior performance over a period of not less than 12 consecutive months.
- Roslyn Fujimoto, School Administrative Services Assistant, Mililani Mauka Elementary School, Central Oahu District.
- Edgardo Parma, Custodian, Kapolei High School, Leeward Oahu District.
- Delcinda Saito, Central District Office Teacher, Central Oahu District.
- Susan Togo, School Administrative Services Assistant, Kaala Elementary School, Central Oahu District.
- Maile Viela, Counselor, Waihee Elementary School, Maui District.
DOE Employee of the Year (selected from among the 5 awardees): Delcinda Saito, Central District Office Teacher, Central Oahu District.
Team Excellence Award of Merit (8 team recipients): recognizes individuals who clearly demonstrate the benefits of working together.
- Central District Band Directors, Central Oahu District: Keith Fukumoto, Leon Burton, Steven Agasa, Debbie Agpaoa, Derek Kaapana, Bryan Hirata, Curtis Hiyane, Grant Otomo, Alan Kinoshita, Ian Cablay, Matthew Momohara, Keane Ishii, Lorrie Ujimori, Elden Seta, Ryan Howe, Chelsea Fujitani, Mark Falzarano.
- Mililani Ike Cafeteria Team, Central Oahu District: Debbie Pa, Thelma Wilcher, Valerie Watanabe, Devie Nakamura, Hener Sison, Sharon Kim, Derek Kajihiro, Sherrie Balasbas.
- Maui Complex Support Team, Maui District: Wendy Heyd and Ignacio Arcas.
- Makawao Elementary School Grade 3 Teachers, Maui District: Amanda Valentine-Borling, Justin St. John, Julie Bykowski, Karen Robledo.
- Race to the Top Detail Expenditure Reporting Team, DOE Office of Fiscal Services: Trisha Kaneshiro, Darnelle Ng, Ken Kuraya, Maelin Ibara, Linda Unten.
- Waihee Warrior Educational Assistants, Maui District: Leilani Hiraide, Marcia Siminski, Milla Richardson, Marieta Anoba, Jorie-Ann Goo, Shirles Inciong, Palma Cabos, Sarah Oberg, Kelly Mitchell.
- Robotics Team at Kapolei High School, Leeward Oahu District: Jason Yanase, Terry Shimabukuro, Estan Reynon, Stacie Inouye, Reid Kawamura, Pauline Sawai, Sheryl Kuroda, Lynne Yamaguchi, Myles Okoji, Gary Sawai.
- The Kauai Parent Community Networking Center Facilitator Team: Shayda Marciel, Bridget Arume, Melanie Furugen, Gloria Aqui, Connie Castaneda, Nancy Borilez, Maureen Contrades-Brun, Janet Koors, Sue Saldana, Eula Taala.
DOE Team of the Year (selected from among the 8 team awardees): Mililani Ike Cafeteria Team, Central Oahu District: Debbie Pa, Thelma Wilcher, Valerie Watanabe, Devie Nakamura, Hener Sison, Sharon Kim, Derek Kajihiro, Sherrie Balasbas.