Mom: 5-year-old burned by school's toilet seat in Clovis, N.M.

Published On: Feb 12 2013 07:23:45 AM HST

A Clovis boy is recovering from second-degree burns on the backs of his thighs, and his mother said he received the burns from a toilet seat at school.

Nellie Aragon showed Action 7 News pictures of blistering burns on her 5-year-old son’s legs. She said he came home from school a couple of weeks ago, crying hysterically, and refusing to put any pressure on his legs.

When she examined him, she found what appeared to be burns and rushed him to a local emergency room. Medical records show doctors diagnosed the boy as having chemical burns. Doctors called the school to verify what kind of cleaning products they use. The records show the products are acid-based.

Aragon is furious.

“I should have been contacted,” Aragon said. “I want every parent to be aware that there are acid-based chemicals being used.”

Aragon said the school superintendent is refusing to return her calls and won’t divulge the results of an investigation into the incident.

Action 7 News tried contacting the superintendent and was told by an administrative assistant that the school system has no comment. They would not confirm whether they've done an investigation.

Aragon said she wants the schools to change the chemicals they use.

“I’m determined to make sure this doesn’t happen to another child,” Aragon said.

Her son is expected to make a full recovery. She has transferred him to another school within the district.


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus