Santa Cruz shooter was stationed in Hawaii

Published On: Feb 27 2013 05:30:00 PM HST

The U.S. Army says the shooter from Santa Cruz, Calif. who killed two police detectives on Tuesday used to be stationed in Hawaii.

Jeremy Goulet, 35, served in the Army from January 2004 to February 2007, according to military officials.

He came to Hawaii in April 2006 and was stationed at Wheeler Army Airfield.

Attorney Don Wilkerson says he represented Goulet when he faced sex assault charges here in the islands.

"I actually thought he was going to get back on track and do what you're supposed to do in life," said Wilkerson.

The sex assault charges were eventually dropped.

The detectives were shot to death Tuesday soon after arriving at Goulet's home in plain clothes to question him about a misdemeanor sex accusation, Santa Cruz County Sheriff Phil Wowak said.

The killings kicked off a half-hour neighborhood search by police that ended in a barrage of gunfire that took the life of Goulet, a disturbed former soldier who blamed everyone but himself for his escalating problems.

"He had contempt for the cops and hated our justice system, and had been in jail before and swore he'd never go back," his father Ronald Goulet, 64, said in halted, emotional bursts during an interview with The Associated Press.

Wowak said that after shooting the two detectives, Goulet took their guns and jumped into Baker's car. But the neighborhood was boxed in by hundreds of quickly responding law enforcement officers, so he ditched the car and tried to run.

Wowak said Goulet was trying to dash back to the car when he started shooting at a team of police and deputies.  Goulet was killed in the shootout.

"(Goulet) was distraught.  He had intentions of potentially harming people and or the police," the sheriff said.  "No doubt the officers that engaged Goulet stopped an imminent threat to the community."

Wowak said investigators were still trying to determine everything that happened when Sgt. Loran Butch Baker and Elizabeth Butler first made contact with Goulet.

His latest arrest, for being drunk in public, came Friday in Santa Cruz.  That same evening, a colleague at the coffee shop where he was working filed a complaint with police for inappropriate sexual advances.  He was fired the next day, and the detectives had been following up on that investigation.

Goulet's father said his son texted his twin brother on Tuesday, saying "'I'm in big trouble, I love you,'" the father recalled.

"Jeff texted back and Jeremy wouldn't answer and next thing we know he was shot and killed," he said.

Jeremy Goulet earned a bachelor's degree in criminal justice in 2000. But his admiration for the law turned to hatred amid his constant urges to peep on unsuspecting women, his father said.

"He's got one problem, peeping in windows," said his father. "I asked him, 'Why don't you just go to a strip club?'  He said he wants a good girl that doesn't know she's being spied on, and said he couldn't stop doing it."

During college Jeremy Goulet served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve.  His father said Jeremy was arrested for peeping at the time and charged with a misdemeanor.

After graduating from San Diego State University in 2000, he eventually landed in the U.S. Army, where he trained as a helicopter pilot.  He was moving forward in his career when he again stumbled into legal troubles in the Army and was discharged, his father said.

Goulet moved to Portland to be with his twin brother, Jeffery.  The two had a strained relationship and fought often, but the bonds of family kept them together, his father said.

Jeremy Goulet's troubles followed him to Oregon.  In May 2008, he went to trial on charges of peeping on a young woman as she took a shower in her condo and for trying to kill her boyfriend.  The woman said that after showering she noticed the window screen was gone and a stick had been used to prop open the blinds.

Goulet was acquitted of trying to kill the boyfriend but convicted of carrying a gun without a concealed weapon permit and invasion of personal privacy. After violating his probation, Goulet was sentenced to two years in jail. He moved to Santa Cruz for a fresh start after jail.

"He figured he can restart his life, but he's really upset at the system," the elder Goulet said. "He already has anger management issues so everything was coming to a head."

Until last fall, a neighbor said the twin brothers lived for at least a year in a brown-shingled house on a quiet street in Berkeley.

Jeffery Goulet, the suspect's twin brother, released a statement Wednesday saying his family was deeply saddened by the events in Santa Cruz.

"We would also like to extend our deepest sympathies to the families of Sgt. Loran Baker and Detective Elizabeth Butler," it said.

Baker, a 28-year veteran of the force, and Butler, a 10-year veteran, had been shot at and called for backup before arriving officers found Goulet, who was killed after opening fire on them, authorities said.

Baker's son, Adam Baker, served as a community service officer, and father and son had mailboxes side-by-side at the Police Department.

Butler came to Santa Cruz to study at the university and stayed, the newspaper said.

"You have to be a people person down here," she told the newspaper in a 2005 interview. "I really do know people's names."


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus