Schofield soldier, 22, killed in Waikiki shooting

Published On: Jan 15 2013 04:45:00 PM HST

Honolulu police have reopened Ala Wai Boulevard after a fatal shooting of a 22-year-old soldier from Schofield Barracks early Tuesday morning.

The soldier's name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.  The 25th Infantry Division says it is cooperating with police in the investigation.

"This is an incredibly tragic incident, and we offer our condolences to the Soldier's family and to the officers injured," said Lt. Col. Derrick Cheng, spokesman for the 25th Infantry Division. "We're working closely with the HPD as they lead the investigation, and they have our full support throughout this process."

The shooting was reported around 4 a.m along the Ala Wai Boulevard.

Police officers were on the corner of Nahua Street and Kuhio Avenue when they saw a dark-colored truck speeding heading the wrong way on Nahua Street.

Police say the truck crossed Kuhio Avenue and stopped briefly on the sidewalk where officers approached the vehicle.

The truck then reversed back onto Nahua Street, turned onto Kuhio Avenue and accelerated toward an officer.  The officer fired multiple shots at the truck as it drove towards him, narrowly missing him.

The truck then turned onto Lewers Street onto the sidewalk where two officers tried to stop the vehicle.

PHOTOS: Deadly shooting on Ala Wai Blvd.

The truck continued on to the Ala Wai Boulevard where it struck two parked vehicles and a pole.

The driver of the truck began ramming several marked police vehicles before officers fired their guns at the driver.

"There were two separate shooting incidents -- one that occurred on Kuhio and one that occurred on Ala Wai," said Maj. Richard Robinson.

Three police officers were involved in the shooting.

The driver was in extremely critical condition and died after he got to the hospital.

Three officers were hospitalized and were released.  They were injured when the driver tried to ram them with his truck.

"I'm very pleased that none of our citizens were hurt while we were trying to neutralize the incident," said Honolulu Police Department Chief Louis Kealoha.

Five police cars were damaged.  The officers involved in the shooting were placed on a three-day administrative leave while the incident is being investigated.

The Ala Wai Boulevard was closed between Seaside and Lewers Streets while police investigated the scene.  The road was reopened just before 11:15 a.m.

Witnesses say a blue truck was surrounded by police and began ramming his way out.  That's when police fired multiple rounds.

"Even though the truck was surrounded by police vehicles, it kept hitting into them going back and forth," said Chris Dickerson, a visitor from Oakland, Calif.  "And I saw an officer get out of the car, gun drawn and was yelling at the truck driver.  But, the truck didn't stop and then I heard some shots and the truck did stop."

Dickerson said it was a very frightening situation.  She feared for the lives of the police officers, even those inside vehicles because the truck was continuing to hit the police cars.

Get breaking news alerts through email or through our KITV iPhone, Android and iPad apps.

You can also upload your breaking news photos and videos using our KITV iPhone or Android app.


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus