Unattended candles to blame for 2 Big Island fires
Two weekend structure fires, six hours apart, kept Big Island firefighters busy over the weekend. Fire investigators say both blazes started because of unattended candles.
The first fire starts at around 11 p.m. Saturday in a home at the Mauna Loa Estates in Volcano.
The owners were at home when the fire broke out and there were no injuries. But, the house was a total loss.
The second fire started at around 5 a.m. Sunday at a home on Alani Street in Hilo.
"The tenant of the house was getting burnt on his face and side of his head trying to get out the fire; trying to save the home," said neighbor Michael Medeiros.
The resident trying to save the home and a woman suffered minor injuries.
Copyright 2012 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Police looking for gold Toyota sedan in Red Hill incident
Dive boat captain says 'freak storm' precipitated tragedy at Molokini
Waipahu robbery scares Wendy's employees, neighborhood
An Arizona family's first trip to Hawaii ends in tragedy
POLL: Which candidate won the U.S. House Democratic Primary Debate?