Wall outlet malfunction cause of Indigo Restaurant fire

Published On: Mar 21 2013 03:11:50 PM HST
HONOLULU -

The Honolulu Fire Department has completed its investigation into a fire at 1121 Nuuanu Avenue in Chinatown in rooms belonging to the Indigo Restaurant.

Investigators say the fire accidentally began in an employee lounge and was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet.

The fire occurred in the McLean Building on Tuesday at around 11:24 p.m.

Firefighters found heavy smoke from the Nuuanu Avenue and Bethel Street sides of the building and requested a second and third alarm while stretching hose lines into the building and attacking the fire, according to fire officials.

The fire had breached the ceiling in the employee lounge and was beginning to spread through the common attic.  Firefighters were able to stop the fire's spread in the attic.  The fire affected the employee lounge and an adjacent storage room.

About 55 firefighters battled the blaze.  The fire was brought under control by 12:03 a.m.

The flames caused moderate damage to the employee lounge and an adjacent storage room and light damage to an office.

The restaurant itself on the first floor was not damaged by the fire.  No one was in the building at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus