Wisconsin Boy, 6, calls 911 as sister chokes

By Shelby Croft
Published On: Apr 09 2013 07:05:51 AM HST

Cole Steffens, 6, said he was as calm as can be when he called for help as his 17-month-old sister, Bailey, choked on a pretzel.

MUSKEGO, Wis. -

Cole Steffens, 6, said he was as calm as can be when he called for help as his 17-month-old sister, Bailey, choked on a pretzel.

"It was kind of scary for my whole body, but it wasn't really scary for my head and my brain because they were really brave," he said.

Cole's father, John, said he was not as calm.

"I lost it. I was balling," he said.

John was home with the two kids that night and gave them their evening snack.

"All of a sudden, within seconds of her eating it, she started to go 'Ack! Ack!" he said. "I could feel all this stuff in her throat, and there was a pretzel lodged sideways in her throat."

Cole said he did not hesitate to help.

"He started hitting her on the back real hard," Cole said. "He said, 'Call 911.'"

"Go to Seafarer Pass, Mariner Court," Cole told the emergency dispatcher.

By the time rescue crews got to the house, the pretzel had been dislodged.

"We were very impressed on just how he carried himself," Tess Corners Assistant EMS Chief Marty Rukavina said. "To be able to go ahead and give a whole set of vitals and stuff like that."

Tess Corners EMS and firefighters visit schools and teach about how to use 911.

"We were all in awe, sitting, talking to the young man," said Lt. Jeff Shelton.

Cole got an invite to the fire station and special treatment after the incident.

"Like, 40 people were shaking my hand and saying, 'You must be the hero,'" Cole said.

The fire department honored Cole and gave him a ride around town in the ladder truck.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus