Alaska fugitive arrested in Hilo

Published On: Feb 04 2014 01:19:57 PM HST   Updated On: Feb 04 2014 01:39:47 PM HST

Thomas Dye

HILO, Hawaii -

On Tuesday, members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force located and arrested 58-year-old Thomas Dye of Ketchikan, Alaska at the Wailoa Boat Ramp in Hilo.

Dye was wanted by the U.S. Marshals in Alaska on a felony no bail arrest warrant for violating his conditions of supervised release.

On April 15, 2010, Dye was arrested by US Marshals on an arrest warrant for defrauding the U.S. Government of $257,000 by falsely claiming for a combat service connected disability.  At the time of arrest Dye was in possession of two firearms having previously been convicted of a felony in Oregon in 1996.

On Jan. 27, 2011, Dye was sentenced to two years in federal prison and three years of supervised release for the fraud and felon in possession of a firearm conviction.  After being released from federal prison, Dye violated his supervised release and a felony arrest warrant was issued on Aug. 28, 2013 by the U.S. Marshals at which time Dye fled Alaska.

In addition to the federal fraud and firearm convictions, Dye’s criminal history includes resisting arrest, assault, and multiple convictions for carrying a concealed firearm.

U.S. Marshals tracked Dye to Kona and finally to Hilo.  U.S. Marshals also determined that Dye was involved with the fishing industry in Hilo and intelligence suggested Dye was carrying a firearm again.

On Feb. 4 at approximately 3:30 am, U.S. Marshals, Hawaii State Sheriff’s, Hawaii County Police, and ATF agents identified Dye at the Wailoa Boat Ramp in Hilo attempting to board a fishing boat.  Task Force members moved in and arrested Dye without incident on the dock fronting the boat.

Dye was temporarily booked in to the Hawaii County Police Department Hilo cellblock pending transport to the U.S. Marshals cellblock in Honolulu.  Dye will then go before a federal judge in Honolulu before being transported back to Alaska on the felony arrest warrant.

PHOTOS: Alaska fugitive taken into custody

Click here to see more photos of Dye being arrested.


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus