Big Island fire hazmat crews were called to District Court in Kealakekua Monday morning after some people complained about a burning sensation and irritation to the eyes and throat.
Firefighters responded at around 10 a.m. to the courthouse on Haukapila Street.
By the time hazmat crews arrived, there was no odor.
Fire officials say oxygen levels were normal and tests for ammonia, chlorine and other chemicals came out negative.
Judge Joseph Florendo's courtroom was ventilated, according to fire officials.
Guards say none of their pepper spray devices were accidentally discharged.
All morning cases were postponed to a later date, except cases in which the defendant was in custody or civil cases in which the party or attorney was from Oahu. Those cases were rescheduled to 1 p.m.
The afternoon court schedule went on as planned.