(de)Occupy ousted from Thomas Square during Bill 7 enforcement

By Andrew Pereira
Published On: Jul 26 2013 12:52:47 PM HST
HONOLULU -

Only one tent remained on a sidewalk bordering Thomas Square in Kaka'ako Friday after the city enforced Bill 7 Thursday night from 10 p.m. through midnight.

It was the first time that protesters known as (de)Occupy Honolulu have been ousted from the park since enforcement of the new ordinance began July 1.

Protesters have been at the historic park since Nov. 5, 2011.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell says enforcement actions will continue at Thomas Square and elsewhere for as long as it's required.

The mayor says crews with the Department of Facility Maintenance are available to work in the evenings, as well as the weekends.

So far, Caldwell says he has received no official notice from the American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii objecting to Bill 7 enforcement.  The ACLU had spoken out against the measure at as it was going through the City Council.

PHOTOS: Occupy Honolulu protesters on the move

Click here to see (de)Occupy protesters on the move back in March.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus