Good Samaritans help to save dogs from burning home
The fire broke out at the Keolu Drive home just before noon Tuesday.
Homeworks construction crews who were working in the neighborhood spotted the smoke and sprang into action. They did what do what they could before firefighters arrived.
”A couple of co-workers were coming from lunch and they stopped and they grabbed the water hoses. I jumped to this side of the neighbor’s house and grabbed the water hose on this side and my co-worker Dave Costa was on the other side shooting down the house," said Homeworks employee James Awana.
"The first company on scene was engine 18, the Kailua station. They found the house fully engulfed. Eight fire companies responded to this fire." said Honolulu fire inspector David Jenkins.
The two brothers who lived in the home were injured during the ordeal.
One suffered burns to his arm trying to save his pets and what belongings he could salvage.
Awana, a neighbor and others passing by helped to get the brothers’ dogs out of harm’s way and into a nearby truck bed.
There were six dogs in all.
A second brother who was overcome with smoke was helped by the son of a retired firefighter who literally gave him the shirt off his back.
"I gave him my T-shirt and I said 'Breathe into this. It would help your breathing.' I grabbed some ice cubes and put it on his chest to cool him down a bit," said Joey Muller.
EMS ambulance crews helped to stabilize the man.
The brothers were taken to a nearby hospital to get checked out.
Their pets were given refuge in the yard of a neighbor across the street until they could be reunited with their owners.
The fire department said the home was a total loss.
No cause yet, but investigators say the heaviest damage was at the rear of the home.
Firefighters estimate the damage at $600,000 which includes the loss of two cars in the garage.
Copyright 2014 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.