Hawaii's Special Olympics team travels to national games
Updated On: Jun 13 2014 10:33:27 PM HST
12 athletes will represent Hawaii in Monday's Special Olympics competition.
The athletes, coaches and supporters are making their journey to New Jersey to participate in Special Olympics 2014 USA National Games.
Team Hawai'i, also known as Hui O Hawai'i, includes athletes from the islands of Oahu, Maui and Big Island.
“Many of our athletes have trained and competed with Special Olympics Hawai‘i for more than a decade and one of the amazing opportunities which our organization is able to provide is the once in a lifetime opportunity not just to represent their community, but our state at a national level,” said Nancy Bottelo, Special Olympics Hawai‘i president and CEO.
The competition is an eight-day event that runs from June 14-21 and brings together more than 3,500 Special Olympics athletes from around the country.
Athletes will compete in 16 sports. They were chosen from 3,200 participants statewide.
Hawaii's team includes:
- Raymattew Akaka, Waianae - Track and field.
- Marcelino Galdones, Honolulu – Bocce
- Lesley Ann Hamm, Honolulu – Bocce
- Nicole Inouye, Kaneohe – Swimming
- Shannon Nakamoto, Honolulu - Bocce
- Reyse Sakima, Honolulu - Track and field
- Blane Sardinha, Honolulu - Bocce
- Michelle Shanahan, Honolulu - Swimming
Big Island Athletes
- Kalani Gonsalves, Hilo - Track and field
- Daylan Toribio, Kurtistown - Track and field.
- Nikilani Rojas, Makawao – Swimming
- Fae Torres, Kahului - Swimming
Copyright 2014 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.