Honolulu authorities continue search for 2nd inmate

By Melvin Givens, Digital Editor, Digital Editor
Published On: Jun 19 2014 09:20:00 PM HST

A search is still underway for a second inmate who failed to return from a work furlough program at Oahu Community Correctional Center.

HONOLULU -

A search is still underway for a second inmate who failed to return from a work furlough program at Oahu Community Correctional Center.

Alan Abihai was previously convicted of sex assault, kidnapping and attempted murder charges and failed to return to the prison on Tuesday.

At a senate hearing Wednesday, Sen. Will Espero questioned why Abihai was eligible for the furlough program given the seriousness of his crimes.

"That's a tough call," said Ted Sakai, Director of the Department of Public Safety. "He came in 1985. So, while the crimes were very serious -- we acknowledge that they were old."

"The parole board is the body that makes the decision as to whether they should have it and the parole board deemed 'Yes, maybe we should give him another chance,'" said Sakai.

Abihai has yet to turn himself into authorities.

Timeline: Daniel Skelton's escape & capture

Click here for a timeline of a recent OCCC inmate's escape.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus