Korean War veterans honored in observance of 60th anniversary
In observance of the 60th anniversary of the conclusion of the Korean War, the Hawaii House of Representatives recognized several Korean War veterans and organizations on the House floor Friday.
On June 25, 1950 a civil conflict between North Korea and South Korea divided the country as soldiers from the North Korean Communist army crossed the 38th parallel and invaded South Korea. In response, President Harry Truman, with support of the United Nations Security Council, ordered the United States Army to provide aid and support to the South Koreans.
More than five million Americans risked their lives and served throughout the following three years of the Korean War which ended on July 27, 1953.
Since the conclusion of the Korean War, veterans of the conflict have established the 20th chapter of the Korean War Veterans Association; since 1996, Hawaii Chapter 1 has furthered the expansion of nationally chartered Korean War Veterans chapters on all islands, including the Big Island Chapter, West Hawaii Chapter, Maui No Ka Oi Chapter, Kauai Chapter, and the Aloha Chapter in Honolulu; Hawaii Chapter 1 has taken the leadership role in all of the Korean War Veterans events in Hawaii and has been recognized by Honolulu's Korean community as the key Korean War Veterans organization in the State.
Introduced by Representative K. Mark Takai, HR30 recognizes those special individuals whose initiative, professionalism, and dedication to the United States Armed Forces have strongly influenced the lives of those they touch with courage, bravery, and brotherhood.
Veterans who were honored included the following:
• Herbert Schreiner, Korean War Veterans Association, Hawaii Chapter 1
• Lucio Sada Sanico, Korean War Veterans Association, Hawaii Chapter 1
• Mr. Martin Pestana, 5th Regimental Combat Team
• Mr. Robert Sugel, Military Order of the Purple Heart
• Mr. Jimmy Shin, Korean War Veterans Association, Aloha Chapter
• Soon Lee, Korean War Veterans Association, Aloha Chapter
• Jung Chae, Korean War Veterans Association, Aloha Chapter
• Albert Nakamura, Korean War Veterans Association, Aloha Chapter
Copyright 2014 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.