Starting Thursday night, the closures of the westbound lanes on the H-1 Freeway for the Pearl City viaduct deck repairs will start at 7:30 p.m. with a new lane closure configuration, according to the state Department of Transportation.
Currently, the repairs and closures are in the westbound right lanes of the H-1 Freeway near Pearl City.
Starting Thursday night, drivers will notice the following changes:
New configuration: First lane closure starts farther west
- First cone for one-lane closure starts between Kaonohi Street and Kaamilo Street overpasses. Previously, the first cone for one-lane closure started near the Aiea pedestrian overpass.
New configuration: Three lanes open for a greater length of freeway
- Three of the six freeway lanes will remain open as motorists approach the Kaahumanu Street overpass.
- A coned exit lane for the Pearl City off-ramp will remain in place.
- Three through lanes (open lanes) will be available for a longer length of freeway.
- As motorists approach the work zone, only two through (open) lanes will be available.
- The Pearl City on-ramp will remain open
The Pearl City Viaduct Deck Repair project is rebuilding badly deteriorated portions of the H-1 Freeway by removing sections of concrete in the evening, and then pouring new concrete overnight. By the morning rush hour, the concrete has set and vehicles may safely drive over it. The state DOT appreciates the public's patience and aloha as we work to adjust the lane closures to improve traffic flow.