Update: Gas torch malfunction causes Hawaii Kai fire
Updated On: Aug 30 2013 02:56:24 PM HST
A Hawaii Kai family is without a home Friday morning after it was destroyed in an overnight fire.
Fire investigators determined that the fire on Hanamaula Street was accidental.
Officials say the fire began in a rear bedroom and was caused by a malfunction of a gas torch that was being used to light candles.
The flames were reported just after 10:30 p.m. Thursday.
When firefighters arrived the house was completely engulfed in flames.
All five people in the home escaped without injuries.
Firefighters had the fire under control within a half an hour.
We talked to neighbors, who watched the disaster unfold.
"People next door were coming out. They were yelling for someone to come help," said neighbor Mike Nakamura. "When fire engines came, smoke was billowing out the windows. It was really bad."
The blaze also destroyed a vehicle in the carport and caused some damage to the neighboring home.
The total combined estimated damage to the home, its contents and the Toyota car were $580,000.
The Red Cross is assisting the family displaced by the fire.
Copyright 2013 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
St. Louis School student saves teacher's life
Person of interest identified in Hawaii soldier's wife death
Teen son cited in La. crash that killed 5 family members traveling to Disney World
Fire crews investigating chlorine gas leak at Sheraton Waikiki
Hawaii political delegation speaks on immigration changes