Roosevelt students return to school after campus lockdown

Published On: Jan 29 2014 07:03:00 PM HST

Roosevelt High School students went back to campus Wednesday. They tried to shake the jitters from the police shooting that locked down campus on Tuesday.

Click here to watch Nana Ohkawa's story.

An officer shot a student in the wrist during a confrontation.

“It's a lockdown. It’s supposed to be 10 to 15 minutes, but she said it again -- kids we are still in lockdown,” said sophomore Isaiah Cartar.

The doors were closed and the school was locked with tensions high for the students inside the school.

“All my aunties were calling me. My sister was calling me. I was like I love you guys. I hope nothing bad happens to me, but if it does you need to know I love you,” said Jade Harrison.

In the counselor’s office, police were in a struggle with a 17-year-old teen they wanted to take into custody for being a constant runaway. Investigators say the teen started slashing a kitchen knife at officers. One officer then fired two shots and hit the student in the wrist.

By Wednesday morning, students were back to their normal routine.

“I feel that we are safe because they got the guy and everyone got released early,” said sophomore Azhia White.

Some parents arrived at the school feeling their children were secure.

“I feel ok. They feel fine. As long as they are ok with it, then I’m ok with it,” said parent Brigitte Lucey.

Principal Jeanette Uyeda says the lockdown was successful. She sent out alerts letting parents know Wednesday would be a regular school day and that Roosevelt is a safe place.

School officials said faculty members had a meeting Tuesday where they discussed what they could have done better. Officials also say they do need to write a plan for releasing students early following a lockdown.

“Although we may debrief, this is what we could have done. This or that next time could be a completely different situation. We need to think on our feet and act accordingly,” said Uyeda.

Police arrested the teen on three counts of attempted murder.

The officer who fired the shots will be placed on paid administrative leave until an independent investigation is completed.

Counselors are now available to speak to students and faculty.


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus