UPDATE: Hilo house fire causes $80,000 damage, no injuries reported

Published On: Sep 13 2013 09:40:09 AM HST
Updated On: Sep 13 2013 01:50:51 PM HST
HILO, Hawaii -

A  morning house fire damaged a Hilo home and required the closure of a nearby intersection Friday.

The fire broke out at the single-family home just after 6 a.m.. at 475 W. Kawailani Street in Hilo.

When firefighters arrived about a third of the home was involved in the fire, which extended into several rooms near the garage.

One person was home at the time. They were able to evacuate themselves from the fire without injury.

Police shutdown the intersection of Kawailani and Komohana Streets for about two hours while the blaze was brought under control.

The fire is believed to have been sparked by a malfunctioning electric component of a dryer located in the homes garage.

Total damage to the home and its property, including two cars, is estimated at $80,000.

The Red Cross will be aiding the family affected by the fire with any of their immediate needs.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus