Tips on filing insurance claims after house damaged

Published On: Aug 12 2014 10:11:13 PM HST   Updated On: Aug 12 2014 10:16:01 PM HST

With Iselle bringing big time damage to the Big Island and Maui County, many are wondering just how to go about filing an insurance claim.

Click here to watch the full KITV4 Morning News interview.

The first step is to check your home for damages and report that damage to your insurance company or agent right away.

Try to avoid beginning any repairs until the damage is inspected by the adjuster unless your insurer says otherwise.

If you don't agree with your settlement provided by the insurance company, don't be afraid to dispute it.

"When a settlement proposal is made, if there's a disagreement on that settlement proposal, then the homeowner should take a look at the policy, see what's covered, question the company to see if it is or not," said Gordon Ito, Insurance Commissioner

If you have any questions or would like some help with the claims process you can call the Hawaii Insurance Division at 586-2790.

Officials say that even if you were not impacted by Iselle, now is a great time to review your insurance policy.


The views expressed are not those of this site, this station or its affiliated companies. By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.
blog comments powered by Disqus